Monday, December 10, 2007

Rebuilding the 'Stairway to Heaven'

An acquaintance on a chat forum had this verdict about tonight's Led Zeppelin reunion show: "I can honestly say it was the single best gig that I have ever attended in my life! Led Zep really delivered the goods and played for about 2 hours!" How was Plant's voice, I asked. "I was a bit unsure as he avoided the high notes in the first couple of songs. However once he warmed up he was hitting every note the same as he did at their peak."

By all accounts, a sensational gig. And, though the setlist excluded any acoustic numbers or "Achilles Last Stand," it did include the live debut of "For Your Life," one of their finest achievements with one of Page's greatest solos.

Setlist:

Good Times Bad Times
Ramble On
Black Dog
In My Time Of Dying
For Your Life
Trampled Underfoot
Nobodys Fault But Mine
No Quarter
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
Stairway To Heaven
The Song Remains The Same
Misty Mountain Hop
Kashmir
Whole Lotta Love
Rock And Roll

Some great reviews coming in from The Guardian, The Times , The Daily Telegraph, and the NME, too. The few clips that are beginning to surface on the Net sound pretty phenomenal even with the muddy sound and grainy footage of a camera phone.

Check out these photo links ( 1, 2, 3) to see which celebs attended the show. Basically, apart from a few musicians who would appreciate the music (Crowded House, Jeff Beck, Dave Grohl, David Gilmour, etc.) it's just a "People" magazine spread full of celebrities with the right connections. I defy Paris Hilton to name a Led Zep song beyond "Stairway." I coulda had her seat... grrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment